January 13, 2009

I’ve Lost Control

"I've Lost Control"

Daniel Courington

Take the Name of Jesus with you, Child of sorrow and of woe,
It will joy and comfort give you; Take it then, where'er you go.
Chorus:
Precious Name, O how sweet! Hope of earth and joy of heav'n.
Precious Name, O how sweet! Hope of earth and joy of heav'n.
Take the Name of Jesus ever, As a shield from every snare;
If temptations round you gather, Breathe that holy Name in prayer.
O the precious Name of Jesus! How it thrills our souls with joy,
When His loving arms receive us, And His songs our tongues employ!
At the Name of Jesus bowing, Falling prostrate at His feet,
King of kings in heaven we'll crown Him, When our journey is complete.

What a great thought to take the name of Jesus with you no matter where you are going or where you have come from. What intensifies the thought even further is that the author of this song, Mrs. Lydia Baxter, was a bedridden invalid for the majority of her adult life. She wrote this song at the age of 65 on her sickbed. She died at the age of 69. You see, one could say that Mrs. Baxter wasn't able to take the name of Jesus anywhere beyond her bedroom when she wrote this song. Despite this, she wrote a song that has stood the test of time and can be found in most any song book still today.

Sometimes Christians are put into circumstances where they feel they have little or no influence in their situation. Frequently this causes so many of our brothers and sisters to struggle with sadness, despair and, in some cases, depression. This will cause many to say "I've lost control". The fact was that Mrs. Baxter was in a rough situation of which she had little, or no, control. She could not help the fact that she could not leave her bed. She could not help the fact that she could not be the servant to others that I am sure she desired to be. Despite this, she mastered a skill that we all must learn in order that we may become the Christians that Christ wants us to be. She discovered that in any situation she was in, she could still be a positive influence to others. She understood what Paul knew, the only circumstance that one has complete control over is the attitude with which you face circumstances. The attitude we must have is to hand over complete control to God.

Consider some of Paul's writings on the subject: 1Ti 6:8 "But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content." 2 Co 12:10 "For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." Php 4:11 "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content."

I envy Paul's attitude. I pray that I could have the same attitude, but I fear that I would not be near as strong as Paul was in his circumstances. Despite the many abuses Paul went through, he came to the understanding that one can never lose control if he has given control to God in the first place. One will ask, how did he come to this understanding? Paul came to this understanding simply through two experiences he had. He had experienced the pains of this world and he had experienced the joys of Jesus Christ. He knew he had a purpose on this earth, and He knew that every circumstance he overcame would lead him to a better reward one day. I pray for us all to have the same attitude: Php 1:21-24 "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (22) If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. (23) I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. (24) But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account."


No comments: